Closed – Project & Gallery Administrator
Project & Gallery Administrator
Aire Place Studios (APS) is a creative studio which holds spaces of equality and solidarity. We host comfortable studios spaces, hold safer spaces for workshops and a bold gallery space centred around innovation and inclusivity.
Aire Place Studios also features a collective of associated artists who exist to radically uplift under-represented creatives with empathy and warmth to realise the potential of those often overlooked by traditional art institutions. This dynamic collaboration builds trust and collective accountability to serve our communities.
We are a small and proactive team used to turning our hand to all aspects of running an exhibition, event and workshop programme and need someone who is happy to apply the same flexibility and commitment in their role.
Aire Place Studios is committed to principles of equality and diversity and this is firmly established in our recruitment process. Aire Place Studios’ Board of Directors is made up of creatives who are Disabled, Neurodivergent, and LGBTQIA+, with lived experience of exclusion from opportunities within the creative sector. As a Board, we champion each other and the various communities we represent. We encourage applications from those under-served in the arts, and specifically welcome applications from LGBTQIA+, Disabled, and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic candidates. Self-definition is at the sole discretion of the applicant.
This role is currently advertised as 0.5 FTE, preferably fulfilled in 3 days per week between Tuesday and Friday, 9AM-5PM. Occasional activities will require evening and/or weekend commitments and travel, and flexibility in working hours will be applied in these cases. The hours of work are projected to expand in line with the growth of Aire Place Studios, and in discussion with the post holder.
The role is based on site at Aire Place Studios; please note that, regrettably, our office is currently only accessible by stairs. We are striving to increase the accessibility of our spaces and have focused efforts on our public spaces in the first instance, and intend to extend to staff areas as much as possible. Reasonable adjustments will be discussed and implemented on a case-by-case basis, and flexibility (including hybrid models of working from home and on site) can be offered where needed. Please do not hesitate to get in touch with any queries regarding our accessibility if this may be a barrier to your application.
Position: Project & Gallery Administrator
Hours: 20 per week
Salary: £12.50 per hour
Duration: Fixed term for 2 years in the first instance, due to funding from The National Lottery
Start Date: TBC
Probation period: 6 months
Application Deadline: Monday 24th Jan 2022, 5PM
General Staff Duties and Responsibilities
- Promote the aims and objectives of APS
- Assist in the maintenance and development of the organisation
- Manage your own workload responsibly
- Maintain confidential member records including the member database, ensuring it is kept up-to-date and accessible for relevant staff
- Always adhere to and work within APS policies
- Travel independently within Leeds for necessary meetings and events
- Attend and actively participate in regular APS team meetings
- Be the “front of house” staff member, responsible for greeting and assisting visitors to the APS office, providing a high level of “customer service” at all times
- Undertake any duties or tasks reasonably asked of you by the organisation and appropriate to the post
- Engage with your work to contribute to the growth and expansion of APS
- Assist with the preparation and delivery of exhibitions/project programmes alongside Creative Director and Communication Assistant
- Provide day-to-day administrative support to the Creative Director
- Develop and maintain effective information management systems (e.g. hard copy and electronic filing systems, databases, records of actions and decisions)
- Maintain an efficient and tidy office, reviewing and updating hard copy and electronic filing systems
- Keeping up to date records and diary management with the Creative Director
- Assist with writing exhibition open calls and proofing of written work
- Keeping updated records and details on exhibitions and open calls
- Collecting relevant feedback and monitoring alongside the funding team
- Webpage input for events, and online exhibitions
- Preparation and proofing of in-print advertising
- Work with the Communication Assistant to ensure exhibitions and open calls are communicated effectively through social media, mailing lists and events sites
- Maintain databases for mailing lists, and work with the Communication Assistant to produce and send newsletters and public information
- Follow established finance processes and systems alongside the Assistant Creative Director
- Manage listings on Curator Space and other platforms
Gallery and Invigilation
- Liaise with artists/makers and hirers with Creative Director
- Assisti in the curation process and installation of exhibitions
- Develop exhibition texts for gallery interpretation and marketing/press materials, and assist with the edit, design and production of gallery interpretation
- Support development of the marketing and communications strategy to include updating the website, social media, annual report, newsletters and press
- Assist at public opening events when needed
- Invigilate exhibition space during work hours alongside the APS team
- Maintain open communication with visitors, artists, and general enquiries
- Assist in the development of ideas for talks, symposiums and special events centred around current debates in contemporary artforms, and members’ creative development
- Be willing to participate as a speaker or similar in the public programme, and to lead gallery tours, facilitate group sessions and workshops
- Maintain up to date and relevant knowledge on exhibiting artists and makers, the history of Aire Place Studios, and events
- Support the sales process of exhibited work
This job description is not exhaustive, and as this is a new role there is scope for additional reasonable responsibilities as the role develops. You may also, at times, be asked to support other teams with their duties.
APS aims to provide high quality services, and adhere to principles of best practice in line with our aims and objectives. All posts have two main functions: to carry out the duties as outlined, and to be proactive in continuously improving service delivery for our members. We always aim to do better.
We expect all employees to carry out their duties in a professional manner with a positive attitude, always remaining client focused. We expect respect and courtesy to be shown to clients, colleagues, stakeholders, and other service providers we are in contact with.
Essential Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
- Enthusiasm for, and experience of, working with creative projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with demonstrable interpersonal skills and the ability to engage with a wide range of people face to face
- Time management skills, including the ability to apply initiative and self-management in working towards deadlines
- Ability to work proactively and independently, as well as within a small team
- Strong administration skills including the use of Microsoft Office products such as Outlook, Word and Excel
- Experience using WordPress
- Experience of working in a similar role with transferable skills
- Experience of providing meeting support, including producing agendas and minuting
- Experience of neurodiversity, either lived or professionally
- Lived experience within or allyship towards LGBTQIA+, Disabled, Neurodivergent, and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities
- Knowledge of producing effective marketing materials.
- Knowledge of photography, Indesign and editing software
How to apply
We are trying to improve the accessibility of our application process and are initially requesting a short expression of interest (max 500 words) and CV only. We will then shortlist and ask you to provide more detailed information, with shortlisted applicants invited to an open day, and informal chat.
Application Deadline: Monday 24th Jan 2022 5PM
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with reference YOUR NAME – Project&Gallery