Why is an entry fee necessary for this open call and where does the money go?
We would like to bring some clarity and transparency by providing more information about the costs covered by the fees. We are a community-focused business and to ensure low-income creatives opportunities, we charge an entry fee that goes towards subsidising entries for low-income entries. Our open calls are free to enter although if successful, your work will be subject to an admin charge depending on the show, which will apply ONLY if your work is selected.
The exhibiting costs will also go towards free entry spots which help provide spaces for low income creatives who do not normally get the space to exhibit their work. On Average an exhibition with 25-30 creatives cost £700-£1000 so we have priced it as affordably as possible to cover our costs through our admin fee and bar sale on the public viewing. Aire Place Studios is not a profit lead organisation and all the money goes back into supporting our community and we try where we can to get funding to offer lower cost/free opportunities.
The running cost per exhibition are as followed, but not limited to:
- Open call and exhibition promotion (online + printed)
- Production and printing of the exhibition catalogue.
- Online and Offline exhibitions
- Paying staff working on the admin and marketing
- Paying staff to run the public openings and additional viewing times
- Hanging, curating and installation of exhibition
- Gallery rent, bills and cleaning fee
- Uninstalling exhibition and packing work safely for collection
- Additionally there are general running costs of the organisation
If cost is a barrier please get in contact, we will try and provide subsidised and free spaces for creatives on low income. We have limited frames which can be borrowed, if the cost of framing your work is a barrier please be in contact. Aire Place studios aims to have both online and offline exhibitions to allow more accessibility to the shows.